Sunday, April 17, 2011

Impossible Pie??

Tonight I made something called Impossible Pie.  This is something I had never heard of until this past week.  A coworker brought it in for lunch and it looked amazing.  Basically it's a quiche that is super easy to make.  You can customize it any way you want.  Of course my version includes mushrooms.  I will definitely be making this again.  It was delicious!

Here's the ingredients:


  • Eggs
  • Bisquick (this stuff is AMAZING)
  • Milk (not shown)
  • Cheddar Cheese
  • Mushrooms (they're a necessity in my cooking)
  • 2 cooked turkey sausages (I just used 2 leftover sausages from my stuffed pepper recipe)
  • Butter (not shown)
  • Olive oil (not shown)
  • White Wine (also not shown. I suck.)

To start this recipe, get out a 9-inch pie pan and grease up that bad boy.  Then chop up your sausages and add them to the pan.


From here I sauteed some mushrooms.  This is my favorite way to prepare mushrroms and I'm excited to show you how to do that!  Start with a pan on medium heat.  Add 2 tbsp. butter and about 2 tbsp. olive oil.  While these are warming up I chop up my mushrooms.  Make sure you don't get them too wet.  I usually just run the water, get my hand wet, and rub off any excess dirt.  If you're a germaphobe I'm sorry, but I don't really worry about that stuff.  I just get the big globs of dirt off and make sure they look good.  When you're done chopping throw them in the pan.  Let them sit for a bit and cook.  It might be hard to resist stirring them, but trust me, it'll be worth the patience.


 Mmmm. They're already starting to smell good.  When the mushrooms release their water (you'll see) and they look like this: 

 

Pour in a little white wine.  Probably about 1/4 cup.  Let the mushrooms cook a while more, soaking up in all the deliciousness.


When they're done they should look something like this. Drool.


To prepare the Bisquick mixture grab a bowl and add three eggs.  Then add 1/2 cup Bisquick and 1 cup milk.  I didn't add this picture cause it was ugly.  Mix well with whatever you want.  I just used a whisk.
 

 Add the sauteed mushrooms to the pan and about 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese.


Pour Bisquick mixture over cheese.


Bake in 400 degree oven for 30 minutes. When it is done it should look like this:


So pretty, so easy.  My kinda meal.  Somehow the Bisquick does this magical thing and creates a crust.  So delicious.  Pretty sure if you made this for your friends they would be really impressed and would not believe how easy it really is to make.  I might just have to make it for some friends.

Next time I make this I think I'll add some veggies.  Maybe broccoli, asparagus, or some peppers.  Mmmmm.


Until next time...

Heather


Full recipe:

  • 3 eggs
  • 1/2 cup Bisquick
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 package mushrooms
  • 2 cooked turkey sausages
  • 2 tbsp. butter
  • 2 tbsp. olive oil
  • 1/4 cup white wine

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 9-inch pie pan.  Chop up sausages into small pieces and add to pie pan.   Heat a frying pan to medium to medium-high heat.  Add butter and olive oil.  Chop up mushrooms and add to pan.  Let sit for 2 minutes.  Stir and add wine.  Let cook until almost all the liquid is gone.  To prepare Bisquick mixture, combine eggs, Bisquick, and milk in a large bowl.  Whisk until the mixture is smooth.  When the mushrooms are done, add evenly to pie pan.  Cover with shredded cheese.  Then pour Bisquick mixture over evenly.  Carefully place in oven and bake for 30 minutes.  Can be served immediately or at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment