Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Ratatouille


Hi everyone!  Sorry I haven't posted anything in awhile. I thought that I would more since it's summer time, but I've been having too much fun outside to find a recipe, let alone take pictures while I cook!
But last night, I got up the energy to make ratatouille. I know you're probably thinking about the movie, and I don't blame you cause that movie is awesome!  But the dish is also a great vegetarian dish, that actually turned me on to eggplant.  So give it a try. It's surprisingly very filling.

I didn't take a picture of all of the ingredients together this time. Boo Heather!  But, I did take some pictures of the eggplant that inspired this whole recipe:

Found this guy at Trader Joe's and just couldn't resist taking him home.
And decided to have some fun with him.
And some more. Haha.
So, back to business.


Start by chopping up your eggplant into cube sized pieces.  They don't need to be perfect.  Saute the eggplant in a pan with olive oil until the eggplant starts to change color and soften up.  The eggplant will soak up the olive oil, so put a lid on to help keep the moisture in there.
 

Chop up a small package of mushrooms (of course).


Chop up a pepper. I used yellow because that's what I had, but you can use whatever kind of pepper you have.


By now your eggplant should look something like this.  Add some salt and pepper.


Chop up a zuchinni in thin slices and an onion or half an onion, depending on size, into rings.  I think red onion works better with this recipe, but of course I forgot to get one at the store.


Add a little olive oil to a 9x13 pan.  Then spread the eggplant evenly.  Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over top.  Then add a layer of zucchini and sprinkle Parmesan.  


Continue layering with the onion rings.


The pepper.

The mushrooms.


You're also going to chop up a tomato at some point.  This really completes the dish!


Add a layer of tomato to the top and sprinkle generously with more Parmesan cheese.  Bake in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes.


I like to serve this over a bed of couscous. Yum!  And again, for being just veggies, this is a filling dish.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment